How do I obtain a cost comparison for airfare?

Best practice is to capture (screen shot or print out) the price of the airline ticket without personal days at the same time as booking the actual flight. Other option is to contact a CTP full service agent to determine if the additional days cause an increase in price, any overage cost can be charged to the traveler’s personal credit card and the business expense for the airfare can be charged to the Florida Institute of Technology (ghost card/departmental card.) If travel dates are past and a cost comparison is required, then estimate 2 weeks from the current date and select the same day of the week travel would have taken place to arrive and depart the location for Florida Institute of Technology business.

Budget Report

What is the (DL) document number showing up on my budget reports?

Airfare and agency fee expenses on the ghost card will be booked to the departmental FOAP based on the information entered in Concur.

What is the (J) document number showing up on my budget reports?

Expense on the travel card will be booked back to the department as a Journal voucher.

Cost Comparison

When is a cost comparison required?

1. Personal days inculded with business travel requires the need for a cost comparision to verify conservation of funds.

2. When traveling out of state, it is typically cheaper to fly, so travelers should provide a cost comparision of a flight vs mileage to drive to specific location.

3. Fuel cost vs reimbursement of mileage in personal vehicle. Traveler will be reimbursed the lesser of the two options.


What documentation must be attached to the requisition for foreign travel?

Affirmation, Waiver and Liability Release Form; Daily Itinerary while in foreign country; Emergency contact list. Office of International Programs reviews that documentation is attached to requisition.


What do I need to provide to the Travel Office for proof of conference room rate?

Documentation that states the conference room rate provided by the conference organizer. Best practices is to screen shot/print the list of hotels on the registration page at the time of booking the hotel reservations.

What is the allowable amount for lodging expenses?

Lodging rates can be found at www.gsa.gov for the per diem rate look-up by location. Travelers on state funds are limited to the GSA per diem for the lodging rate (nightly rate) at the location of rest. Travelers on local funds can exceed the GSA by 50% for the per diem lodging rate at the location of rest.

Can conference hotels be booked through the conference registration website?

Yes. Conference hotels can booked through the conference website. The traveler can book outside the Concur/CTP tool for conference hotels.


Do I need to provide a meal receipt for Business meals?

Yes. Meals that meet the requirement of a business meal must provide receipt, list of attendees, and an approved FO-19 form.

Do I submit meal receipts/log with the expense report?

A per diem (based upon an analysis of current statistical data available) will be provided for meals, including tips, when traveling out of town of $55.00 per day ($10.00/breakfast, $15.00/lunch, $30.00/dinner). The separate amounts for breakfast, lunch and dinner listed are provided should you need to deduct any of those meals from the per diem reported on the expense report.


What receipts are required by the Travel Office?

List of required receipts: Itemized Hotel Bill, Car Rental, Registration Fee (when not paid by Pcard), Airfare with ticket number, Fuel, Parking, and Tolls.

What if I have lost a receipt for tolls or parking?

Tolls and parking receipts can be itemizes on a log, providing the date, amount, and location. EZ Tag statements can also be provided as documentaion for tolls.


How do I create a travel requisition for a new employee?

New employees will need to be set up in XXXXX as a vendor. Email XXX@XXXX to request set-up by providing the employee’s name and XXXXXID.

(Please provide protocol for Florida Institute of Technology)

Do all faculty and staff need a travel requisition when traveling together?

Yes. Requisitions are required for in-state overnight, out-of-state and foreign travel locations providing approval to be away from headquarters and allows expenses to be allocated correctly on the expense reports.