Before You Depart
Business travel requires considerable planning to ensure the best experience during the trip and after when reconciling expenses. It will also help to ensure that the most cost efficient means of travel are selected. Please try to schedule your travel 21 days in advance if possible. Once it is determined that FIT sponsored travel is required for you or a guest, a Travel Request must be submitted and approved through Concur prior to booking travel arrangements and to ensure proper credit limit is established on FIT Travel Card to pay for all necessary travel expenses.
To ensure efficiency and fiscal responsibility, be sure to refer to Florida Tech’s Travel Policy prior to departure and before extending institute/personal funds for travel related expenses.
- Review Florida Tech’s Travel Policy
- Submit Travel Request through Concur
- Purchase airfare in advance
- Reserve ground transportation (e.g. rental car)
- Reserve hotel
- Check airline baggage/boarding rules
- Check travel advisories for destination
- Check Export Control requirements
- Obtain appropriate immunizations
- Acquire applicable travel identification (e.g. passport/visa)
- Confirm necessary insurance coverage (e.g. medical)
- Arrange financial options
- Check your flight status before departure
- Share itinerary and other travel details with department/family/friend
NOTE: The pre-departure checklist is a general list and is not inclusive of all items necessary for travel to your business destination. Consult your airline, travel agency, host or other travel resources to ensure all basic requirements are covered.
Take only the identification information that you will need (e.g. driver’s license, passport, visa, etc). To determine what identification is required for the travel destination, contact the airline, travel agency or appropriate government agency.
- Financial Resources
Bring multiple forms of money, including traveler’s checks, ATM cards, credit cards, and cash. Do not rely on a single means of accessing funds.
- Emergency Contact List
Take a list of emergency contacts, including family members, physicians, and supervisors.
- Medical Insurance Card
Carry your insurance card and important medical information about any significant health issues in the event of an emergency.
- Baggage and Equipment
Limit baggage and equipment to the basics needed for the trip.